There are things you do easily and effortlessly that you may not consider a big deal—that is your core genius.
Everyone has unique abilities and do things so well that they appear to have a natural talent. You are no different. You have a core genius within you.
What Does Core Genius Mean?
Most times, a person’s core genius is aligned to things that bring them joy and to their life purpose. It’s what they are passionate about and want to do more of.
For achievers, their core genius is tied to things that will make the biggest impact and add the greatest value. These are the high-leverage activities they need to focus on.
All activities that are of low value and need to be outsourced or delegated to others.
Your core genius is:
- What makes you special.
- How you differentiate yourself from others.
- What you are good at doing and is what you love.
- How you provide the best value to those you serve.
The unfortunate reality is most people are not doing what they love or doing things aligned to their core genius. When you find your core genius, you will make a bigger difference through what you do.
It’s not uncommon to think of being obsessive from a negative perspective, especially if you’ve had unpleasant experiences.
Being obsessive is unhealthy if it causes you mental, emotional and physical problems, and if it also affects other people.
What Does Being Obsessive Mean?
A simple definition is it is someone who thinks and behaves in an obsessive manner. The dictionary defines obsession as “the domination of one’s thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.”
Where this can become a problem is if someone is obsessed with another person and causes them discomfort or harm. It’s also a problem if obsession causes self-destructive behaviours, which can lead to other health-related issues.
The Downside of Being Obsessive
Disadvantages of being overly obsessive includes:
- Overworking to the point of exhaustion or mental breakdown.
- Not taking care of yourself.
- Avoiding responsibility.
- Neglecting the important people in your life.
- Losing integrity with yourself and others if you don’t keep your word.
If you consider obsession from a positive perspective, you can learn to use it to your advantage. Being obsessed about something that is valuable and meaningful, can affect the level of success you achieve.
Self-help ideas are often perceived as valuable and useful if you want to improve your life. Most times, they are.
There are also certain outdated self-help ideas that will not improve your life. These are the ones you should not buy into, if you want to achieve what you want a lot easier.
The Risks of Not Knowing Which Self-Help Ideas Are Helpful
Knowing how to identify which self-help ideas are beneficial and which ones are not is valuable. Not all ideas are helpful.
The danger of not knowing which self-help ideas to act on and which ones to let go of, include:
- Feeling confused and overwhelmed.
- Acting on ideas that will not lead to the results you want.
- Taking you off track, which will delay the achievement of your goals.
- Generating additional stress and frustration.
- Affecting your confidence and motivation.
To avoid applying incorrect self-help ideas, it’s wise to know which ones will not improve your life.
The greatest gift you can give yourself is to discover your life purpose, then live and share it with others.
People do many things to improve their lives, yet they don’t give much thought to the real purpose of their lives.
Why is it Important to Discover Your Life Purpose?
It has been said the two most important days in a person’s life are the day they are born and the day they discover why they were born.
It’s important to discover your life purpose because you will:
- Give attention and focus to something beyond making a living.
- Reconnect to what’s great about you.
- Do work that is worthwhile.
- Have a better sense of why things you offer are valuable.
- Be focused on service and making a difference any way you can.
When you discover your life purpose, you will live your life with more meaning and do things for the right reasons.
Knowing how to clear mental clutter is a quality that will help us be more productive and operate with the right mindset.
With the pressures and expectations on us daily, it’s not uncommon to experience mental clutter. We have to learn how to deal with it for our overall wellness and sanity.
What is Mental Clutter?
Mental clutter is a state we experience when we have conflicting or increased mental activity.
Common causes of mental clutter include:
- Overthinking things.
- Being in a state of inaction.
- Feeling confused and overwhelmed.
- Not having clear priorities.
- Inability to focus.
- Having too many incomplete things.
- High levels of stress.
- Poor sleep habits.
Effects of Mental Clutter
Not dealing with mental clutter can lead to serious problems. These include:
- Poor levels of concentration, which will cause poor productivity and performance.
- Changes to sleep and eating habits.
- Uncharacteristic behaviours.
- Feelings of sadness, worry or anxiety.
- Slow progress towards the achievement of goals.
If we learn how to clear mental clutter, we will experience increased levels of calmness, peace and happiness in our lives.
Having solutions to overcome your busy schedule can change the way you work and improve the results you achieve daily.
Most working professionals will admit they are busy most of the time. Allowing yourself to stay busy for long periods will not support you in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
The Benefits of Not Having a Busy Schedule
Not having a busy schedule has many benefits. These include:
- Not getting caught up with things that are a lower priority.
- Having time to think and form new ideas.
- Giving yourself a break from working all the time.
- Not feeling stressed or overwhelmed.
- Becoming more productive and effective by focusing on high-leverage activities.
Being busy does not always equate to being effective. Knowing the difference between being busy and being productive will increase your daily outputs.
Most times, the less you do, the better quality results you will produce. Overcoming a busy schedule does not just happen. You have to implement workable or practical solutions to overcome your busy schedule.
If you’re like most people, you may have not learned how to identify your true values in life.
It is not uncommon for people to not know or have a deep understanding of their values. We often focus on what we’re programmed to value through our upbringing.
What Are Values?
Personal or core values define what we consider important, useful or worthwhile. They are principles by which we live and give meaning to our lives.
Our values allow us to stay persistent when we are going through tough times.
Values clarify what matters most to us, which often aligns with how we spend our time and what we give our attention to.
For example, if someone has identified health as a personal value, they will be more conscious of what they eat or drink. This doesn’t mean they will not falter. It means they are more likely to move away from a habit or practice that is not one of their values.
Why Are Values Important?
Our values are an integral part of our identify. They represent who we are and what we stand for. They often highlight our uniqueness and what makes us special.
When we are living our values, we are congruent with who we are and who we want to be. This is because our values influence our behaviour and gives us our own code of conduct.
When we are not living our values, we often don’t feel good about ourselves. We know we are not in alignment with what’s important to us, which means there is a disconnect between who we want to be and who we are being.
The clearer we are on what we value in life, the better our chances of living our lives that’s aligned to what’s best for us.
There are simple things that will increase your productivity daily, which means you will consistently be more effective.
Knowing what to focus on is necessary to work smarter and do the right things to get you closer to an outcome you want.
The Importance of Staying Productive Daily
There are many things competing for your attention every day. If you are productive, it will:
- Give you a competitive advantage over those who allow themselves to get distracted easily.
- Speed up the achievement of the results you want.
- Allow you to have more free time.
- Make you feel good about the progress you make.
- Ensure you meet your deadlines and maintain your level of self-trust.
The objective of increasing your productivity is not to do more things. It’s about bringing the best out of yourself consistently, so you can create the results you want in your life.
Knowing how to get motivated if you are unhappy at work will make a big difference to your attitude and experience while working.
Most people spend almost a third of their lives working. Studies reveal close to 80% of people either hate or don’t enjoy what they do for a living.
Quitting a job you hate isn’t always easy, especially if you may put yourself at financial risk.
The Costs of Low Motivation at Work
If you have low motivation at work, the costs include:
- Not performing as well as you can.
- Having an unhealthy attitude.
- Contributing to the creation of a bad workplace culture.
- Adding to low team morale.
- Not meeting performance objectives.
If you are unhappy at work and don’t want to be there, it is unfair to your employer. All employers make an investment in their employees, so they can succeed in their role. If you are not happy at work, it is your responsibility to do something about it.
While staying at a job long-term that does not bring you joy is not the best choice, there are things you can do to get motivated while working.