With all the stresses you have to deal with daily, there are valid reasons to focus on your self-care.
It’s hard to operate at your best if you don’t give attention to your overall wellness. You can do that by focusing more on your self-care.
The Costs of Not Focusing on Your Self-Care
The risks of not focusing on your self-care include:
- Challenges with your physical health.
- Not operating at your best consistently.
- Unable to concentrate well.
- Making poor decisions.
- Feeling tired constantly.
- Not dealing with stress well.
Making yourself a priority is challenging if it’s not a regular practice.
Why We Fail at Self-Care
Focusing on self-care isn’t always easy. Common reasons why people do not focus on their self-care include:
- Not making it a daily priority.
- Using being too busy as an excuse.
- Feeling guilty for taking time for themselves.
- Not knowing how to focus on self-care.
- Not fully appreciating the benefits of self-care.
If you make yourself a priority and focus on your self-care, you will improve how you operate daily.
My daily self-care includes practices such as:
- Healthy eating.
- Taking a nap, if I can.
- Getting enough sleep.
- Gratitude practice.
- Alone time.
These self-care practices have made a big difference to my effectiveness and my sense of well-being.
5 Reasons to Focus on Your Self-Care
Here are five important reasons to focus on your self-care so you can reap its benefits and improve how you function.
- You will develop better habits. Putting yourself first is a habit. Self-care implies you are doing things beneficial to you. This means you will be more conscious of your daily choices or decisions.
- You will trust yourself more. Self-trust is built when you follow through on the commitments you make. If you make self-care a commitment and stick to it, the level of trust you have with yourself will increase.
- You will have more to give others. There is a saying, “You cannot give what you haven’t got.” If you care for yourself more, you will have more capacity to care for others. As you practice giving more attention to yourself, you will give better attention to others.
- You will have better mental, emotional and physical health. Self-care through better habits will lead to better overall health and wellness. Practices such as healthier eating and regular exercise will have a positive effect on your life.
- You will deal with stress better. If you’re not focusing on self-care, you will feel depleted of energy, therefore not cope with your daily demands well. When you’re taking care of yourself, you’ll feel more self-assured, confident and will be more resilient.
Things You Can Do to Focus on Your Self-Care
The important thing is to make it a daily practice. Simple things you can do to focus on your self-care include:
- Give yourself quiet time daily, away from distractions, technology or noise.
- Practice mindfulness techniques.
- Visualize what you want.
- Do something you love every day.
- Turn off negative news or other forms of negativity.
- Spend time with people you love.
- Celebrate your wins.
- Practice saying “no” more often.
Focusing on your self-care is a choice. If you want to feel better and operate at your best consistently, you must make yourself a priority and take care of yourself.
Not focusing on your self-care means you do not consider yourself a priority, which also means others in your life will not see the best of you.
Action Step: Choose one thing you will do daily to focus on your self-care. It can be as simple as giving yourself five minutes of quiet time to be with your thoughts.
Question: What are other critical reasons to focus on your self-care?