Oftentimes in life, we find ourselves in a funk, feeling like we’re stuck and not making any progress. Have you ever experienced that?
I was once told that we aren’t really stuck — all we are doing is creating the same reality over and over again. As we are progressive beings, feeling stuck or being stagnant is not something we enjoy or want to experience regularly.
So why do we allow ourselves to get stuck?
Back when I had a corporate career, I remember having this sense that every year was the same because we’d be focusing on the same things over and over again — cutting costs, reducing waste, increasing efficiencies or reducing overheads.
I hated the fact that the same initiatives were used every year, just the year would be different. I knew that I wanted to do something more meaningful that would actually make a difference in other people’s lives.
I went on the journey of changing careers and started my own business. I had to learn new skills, acquire new knowledge and give up things that were no longer serving me. I knew that I didn’t want to be stuck in a career that I did not enjoy so I took the necessary steps to overcome being stuck doing what was no longer important to me.
While there could be many reasons why people get stuck, I think there are the five main reasons, especially for business owners or entrepreneurs.
- Poor attitude. Our thoughts and our beliefs determine our reality. If we have disempowering thoughts like, “I don’t think this will work” or “I don’t know whether I can do it or not” or “Why do things like this keep happening to me?”, chances are that we will not be in a good frame of mind to make decisions that will move us forward.
- Not familiar with terminology. This comes down to not understanding jargon or language especially if something technical is causing you the stress. Not knowing what things mean can result in us not doing anything at all.
- Lack of skills. This is a big one especially if we start comparing ourselves to others who are proficient in a particular area or skill. Thinking that we’re unable to do what’s necessary can cause us feel inadequate and stop us from learning the skills required or get the training we need to succeed.
- Confused with technology. With technology changing so fast, it is not hard to get confused with all the different options available. Whenever we’re confused, lack of action is something that’s quite common.
- Not knowing how to use specific tools. Very similar to not having the necessary skills, sometimes we know what we need to do but don’t actually know how to use the tools that are available. This can certainly result in us getting frustrated and feel like we’re not making progress.
While we may not enjoy feeling stuck, the good news is that there are many options available to get unstuck and move into action. Here are ten things you can do to get out of a funk and get back to doing what you do best.
- Ask for help especially if you’re confused with technology.
- Outsource work if necessary.
- Enrol in a course to learn a skill that will be valuable.
- Take a small, baby step for a project you’re working on.
- Take an extended break to relax and refresh.
- Stop giving energy and attention to things you have no control over.
- Stop participating in negative conversations.
- Let go of the past, avoid worrying about the future and just be present in the Now.
- Do something you love to take your focus away from what’s causing you to feel stuck.
- Be thankful and acknowledge all the good things that you already have in life.
Experiencing emotions of being stuck and not knowing how to overcome it shouldn’t be an excuse anymore. Ultimately it is our choice whether we do something about it or not and this post offers a few simple ideas on how to overcome feeling stuck. Give it a go next you experience it.
Question: What is another thing you can do when you get stuck?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.