When you know the reasons why you need to have a bucket list, you will want to create one.
Having a bucket list can influence your decisions and what you focus on daily.
What is a Bucket List?
A bucket list contains the things you want to do, experience, own or complete before you “kick the bucket” or before you die. The dictionary defines it as “a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have or accomplish during their lifetime.”
The 2007 movie, “The Bucket List,” with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman popularized the term. Their characters in the movie, who were dying of cancer, made a list of things they wanted to do before they died and spent the final months and days of their lives doing them.
A bucket list can include:
- Places you want to visit.
- People you want to meet.
- Possessions you want to own.
- Projects you want to complete.
- Skills you want to learn.
- Things you want to do because they matter to you.
Once you create your bucket list, you will appreciate the importance of having one, which will also inspire you to achieve them.
Things I Have on My Bucket List
One of my mentors, Jack Canfield, teaches the concept of having a “101 Goals List,” which is similar to a bucket list. Things I have on my list include:
- Write and publish at least ten books.
- Have one of my books made into a film.
- Watch an NBA Finals game.
- Attend Wrestlemania.
- Have a speaking role in a Bollywood film.
- Walk along the Great Wall of China.
- Visit the pyramids in Egypt.
- Go on an African safari.
- Meet Michael Jordan.
- Meet Oprah Winfrey.
Things I have completed that were on my bucket list include:
- Speak in front of an audience of over 1,000 people.
- Become a best-selling author.
- Visit the Taj Mahal.
- Visit a Boeing factory.
- Fly a helicopter.
- Complete a train the trainer program in the US.
- Own a BMW car.
I’ll continue to add more things to my bucket list as I feel inspired to experience new things.
5 Reasons Why You Need to Have a Bucket List
Having a bucket list will make a difference to your life. Here are five reasons why you need to have a bucket list.
- You will have things to look forward to. This can generate motivation and give you the drive you need to aim for bigger and better things in life. Having a sense of anticipation will help generate excitement and make your life more enjoyable.
- You will grow as a person. The things on a bucket list are things you have not done before. They may not always be easy to complete. This will cause you to get out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself to do new things. It will also allow you to dream bigger and take new risks.
- You will create memories that are meaningful. Life is a collection of moments or memories. When you do something different, you will have new experiences. Those experiences will become precious memories and give you a sense of fulfilment.
- You will have greater drive and motivation. Everyone will experience challenges or setbacks. When something does not work out as expected, having a bucket list will help you stay committed and motivated to continue taking action towards what’s important.
- You will have greater clarity on what’s important. Life is not about getting more. It is about sharing and making a difference. Having a bucket list will cause you to look at what matters to you and the legacy you want to leave before you die.
How to Create a Bucket List?
The process to create a bucket list is simple. It is about allowing yourself to dream again. Here are things you can do to create one.
- Find a quiet space where you can think. It can be at the beach, at a park, or somewhere in nature.
- Close your eyes and recall your childhood or teenage dreams. Are they still important to you?
- Ask yourself, “If time, money or resources were not a factor, what would I like to do, have or experience before I die?”
- Capture what comes to mind in a notebook or journal you can refer to later.
- Look at examples online for ideas or inspiration and add them to your list.
- Add to your list as more things come to mind.
Your bucket list is a live list, which means you can continue adding to it. Don’t be surprised if some things drop off your list as your priorities change.
Having a bucket list will make your life more enjoyable and give you a greater sense of accomplishment. This means you will have a better quality life.
If you don’t have a bucket list, you may drift along in life, having nothing meaningful to look forward to. This means you will have an uninspiring and mediocre life.
Action Step: If you don’t have a bucket list, create one. Use the ideas suggested to get inspired to go for things in life. If you have one, choose at least one thing every six months and complete it.
Question: What are other reasons why you need to have a bucket list?