When you hear the word innovation, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind?
If you’re like me, you probably think of well-known companies or brands like Microsoft, Apple, Tesla, Samsung or Amazon, to name a few, who have large budgets to spend on innovation.
While these companies may be setting the benchmark for innovation in the world, we can use their successes to bring more innovation into our lives. Innovation should not be left to big businesses or brands only. We can all innovate at different levels in our lives.
What is Innovation?
I like to think of innovation as a bridge from what we currently have to what’s to come in the future. It’s about never settling for what’s already here, and continuously seeking to make things better.
As the saying goes, “Good, better, best… never let it rest, until the good is better, and the better is best.”
The companies that are leading in the twenty-first century are the ones that are continuously innovating. If we want to improve our lives consistently, then we must be willing to continuously innovate and take ourselves to higher and higher levels.
5 Reasons Why You Should Never Stop Innovating
- It will help you stay ahead. As things are always changing, we need to keep up with changes that will affect our lives. The best way to do that is to lead the field and be more proactive when it comes to creating the life we want. The more we innovate, the more we’ll stay ahead of others.
- It will make you more creative. Innovation requires us to go into unknown and create something out of nothing. That will improve our creative abilities, which will also improve how we do things and the decisions we make.
- It will enhance your personal or professional brand. Just think of a company like Apple and the brand persona it has. By focusing so much on innovation, they now have raving customers who are anticipating new and better products. Similarly, as we innovate more, we’ll be known for what we do and how we do things.
- It will help you develop solutions faster. As innovation and creativity work well together, the more we innovate, the more creative we’ll be and the quicker we’ll be able to solve problems. The best innovations are those that solve a problem in the world. As problems are a part of life, the more we innovate, the faster we’ll overcome them.
- It will increase your productivity and effectiveness. A pre-requisite of innovation is that we have to do things better. This means we will have to improve how we do things and how much time we allocate to innovation. As we are living busy lives, we have to be more intelligent with how we use our time, therefore innovation will help us be a lot more efficient as well.
The Dangers of Innovation
Even though there are many advantages of innovation, we also have to be aware of some of its disadvantages.
- It can generate additional pressure or stress. The desire to improve our lives can cause us to become impatient if we don’t achieve solutions when we want them by. That can lead to frustration, overwhelm and unnecessary stress.
- It can cause us to fall into the comparison trap. As we look at what others are doing and what they are seemingly innovating in their lives, it may cause us to start comparing our lives to theirs. If we start to assume that others are doing better than us, we can start generating negative emotions, which may not help us get to where we want to be.
- It can make us excessively competitive. We’ve seen this with major technology brands, where one company tries to outdo others by offering things that may not be much better than what’s already available. Likewise, we need to be aware of what’s important to us and give our focus to it without worrying about others.
Innovation should be an integral part of how we live our lives. The more we innovate, the better our lives will be. If we choose not to innovate, we may find ourselves lagging behind as the world continues to move ahead.
Question: What is another reason why we should not stop innovating in life?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.