You will go through phases where you will have a desire to reinvent yourself because you want to improve your life.
Since we all have a built-in drive for more in life, a desire to improve ourselves, reinventing yourself is a good thing.
What Does it Mean to Reinvent Yourself?
Reinventing yourself means you have decided to change or improve aspects of yourself. This can involve:
- Forming new habits.
- Changing behaviours.
- Gaining new knowledge.
- Developing new skills or improving existing skills.
- Implementing new practices.
Factors That Can Influence You to Reinvent Yourself
There are signs or things that can trigger you to reinvent yourself. These can include:
- Having low levels of motivation.
- Feeling unhappy about what you are doing with your life.
- Not progressing as fast as you would like.
- Reaching a certain age, usually with a zero at the end.
- Feeling stressed most of the time.
Having things that will help you reinvent yourself the easy way is helpful.
Over the past several months, I have reinvented myself through a major health change. For about ten years, I tried to get my weight under 80 kilograms (176 pounds) and could not do it. No matter how much I exercised, I could not get my weight under 80 kilograms.
My health reinvention involved a diet change. This include eliminating food that had sugar or flour in its ingredients. I eliminated most carbohydrates. I also added practices such as fasting two or three times per week and having all my meals within a 10-hour window.
After six months on this diet and continuing to exercise daily, my weight dropped to less than what I weighed 25 years ago. I reinvented myself by giving more attention to my health and forming empowering habits.
5 Things That Will Help You Reinvent Yourself
Here are five things that will help you reinvent yourself, so you can become the person you want to be and achieve what’s important to you.
- Define what reinventing yourself means to you. Everyone has different priorities and ambitions in life. Something important to one person may not be important to you. Having a high level of clarity will make a big difference.
- Emulate someone you admire. This is where role models or people you aspire to be like, is valuable. The people you admire have qualities and characteristics you can adopt to help you reinvent yourself.
- Focus on your mental and emotional health. It will require mental strength and resilience to make a major change to your habits and way of being. Your natural tendency will be to default back to your current way of operating. Developing mental and emotional strength will help when your motivation levels are low.
- Set up the right environments. Having supporting environments will make it easier to stay on track. It can include eliminating clutter, removing things not supporting your mental, emotional and physical health, and creating new triggers. The right environments can also include having a support group or an accountability partner.
- Create a plan to stay on track. A plan will help define what success looks like. You need to know when you’ve arrived at your desired outcome. A plan will help you stay focused and make changes as needed.
How to Know if Your Plan to Reinvent Yourself Will Work?
Even with the best plan, things will happen that can cause you to lose momentum. Here are things to remember as you reinvent yourself.
- You will experience setbacks and challenges, therefore you have to prepare yourself mentally to deal with them.
- It’s harder than it may seem at the start. Having a support system is a key component for staying committed and on track.
- It will take courage. Change is uncomfortable. You will need to be honest with yourself if you get off track.
- Ensure the outcome is something you really want. Having an emotional connection, with no attachment, is a critical step in your success.
- Be okay with slow progress. Sometimes, things won’t happen when you want them to, so you have to embrace the highs and lows of the process.
Reinventing yourself can open up fresh opportunities and lead to more success. That will help you love who you are, who you are becoming and the life you’re living even more.
When you reinvent yourself, not only will you enjoy the benefits, other people in your life will also benefit.
Action Step: If you are considering reinventing yourself, get clear on what it means to you. Describe what the reinvented you will look like and how it will serve you and others in your life.
Question: What are other things that will help you reinvent yourself the easy way?