The way we commence our week has a huge effect on the results we accomplish during the week.
Therefore it makes a lot of sense to start our week right.
When we start off our week on the right note, it sets us up to:
- Be more focused on outcomes rather than activities.
- Have greater clarity on what we want to achieve.
- Get more done during the week.
Here is a 10-step checklist that you can use to ensure that you kickoff your week the right way in order to maximise the results you achieve by the end of the week.
- Have a weekly plan. The best way to create a weekly plan is to do a weekly review. Each day, have a plan for what you’d like to accomplish that week and at the end of the week, review how you did. If anything was not completed, that can be added to the following week’s plan. Having a plan is the first step to having a great week.
- Schedule focused time blocks in your calendar. There is an old saying, “If it’s not scheduled, it probably won’t get done.” Therefore being able to take your weekly plan and schedule it in your calendar will guide your focus throughout the day. That way, you don’t have to decide what to do next on the run because you have everything in your calendar.
- Complete your daily rituals. A great week only happens if you have great days through the week. Therefore having rituals is extremely important. Rituals can include visualising how you want your day and week to go, taking regular breaks, reading, listening or watching something uplifting to start your day, drinking plenty of water throughout the day, only checking emails and social media at specified times, etc.
- Know how to manage your distractions. Distractions can include checking emails, logging into your social media accounts, browsing on the internet or having unplanned phone calls that are not productive. Schedule specific times in your calendar to do these otherwise you can end up wasting precious time.
- Set up your environment to inspire you. Your physical environment has a huge impact on how you think, feel and act. A starting point is to have an organised desk or work station. Is it set up exactly the way you want it to be? Are the things you will need for the day close by? Is there a lot of clutter around your work area? Taking care of these little things will have a huge impact on your productivity at the end of the week.
- Manage your energy. Schedule plenty of breaks throughout your day. Know when during the day your energy levels tend to drop. If possible, schedule a short nap daily of between 15-30 minutes.
- Know the first thing you must work on that week. There isn’t anything efficient about having a plan but not knowing that first thing to do. Therefore being clear about the first task or project you are going to work on that week is an absolute must.
- Have a win early in the day. Completing something early in the day can give us such a boost and help maintain momentum throughout the day. Any win is good — it doesn’t have to be anything huge. An example could be making that phone call that you have been putting off for a while.
- Complete a daily review. Each day, there are lessons for us to learn and opportunities to improve. By doing a daily review, we can ask ourselves how we could have been more effective and what can we do if we’re in a similar situation next time. The best way to do a daily review is by journalling, which is something I highly recommend.
- Have a positive attitude. We all know that even with the best plans, things do not always go as planned. Some tasks will take longer, there may be delays if we’re waiting on someone to provide us information or resources, or we may just have a bad day. Whenever things go off track, rather than getting upset or frustrated, if we have a positive attitude, it will be much easier to turn things around and get back on track.
Being able to get things done is a simple concept yet we tend to struggle with it when we don’t know what we need to do to have a productive week.
These steps should now be your guide in achieving outstanding results each week. If you do these, you will amaze and surprise others and yourself. Give it go and watch your results skyrocket!
Question: What are some things you do to start your week on the right note?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.