Our ability to keep making progress when things aren’t going our way is critical if we want to accomplish the things we want.
Challenges, setbacks, obstacles or roadblocks are all part of the process whenever we pursue things that are important to us. Whenever things don’t go our way, it can be easy to lose motivation or not feel inspired to do what needs to be done.
Difference Between Inspiration and Motivation
Inspiration and motivation are both necessary if we want to stay on course and achieve our objectives.
Inspiration is internally generated. This can be ignited by a desire or passion to do something or achieve a particular objective.
Motivation is usually triggered by something external, however there are two types of motivation—intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic motivation is generated from within, whereas extrinsic motivation is triggered by an external source, whether it’s to gain a reward or avoid some type of consequence.
Motivation usually gets us started, whereas inspiration and our habits is what keeps us going.
While both are important, the challenge of relying on external motivation is that when something doesn’t go our way, which is an external event, it can cause us to slow down or even quit on what we’re pursuing.
Being able to find inspiration again when things aren’t going our way can make all the difference whether we achieve something or not.
7 Ways to Find Inspiration Again if Things Are Not Going Your Way
- Take a mental break. Oftentimes, it’s our internal resistance that can affect our motivation levels. In order to feel inspired again, taking a break, doing something different or getting away from what we’ve been working on and what’s affecting us will allow us to focus on something else, which can often provide clarity on what needs to be done next.
- Spend time in nature. Being outside in nature often does wonders because it grounds us and make us feel a lot calmer and relaxed. Going for a walk, a jog or just sitting outside can help clear our minds and regenerate the inspiration we’re looking for.
- Start dreaming again. If we don’t have dreams in life, then it’ll be challenging to be inspired because we don’t have anything to look forward to. When we start dreaming again, we start focusing on what’s possible and how our lives can be better. Creating a dreams book, a bucket list or a vision board are simple ways to get inspired again.
- Do something positive for another person. When we take the focus off ourselves and do something that brings a smile to someone or makes them feel good, it also gives us a lift. That little boost can be all we need to get back into the flow of things.
- Go somewhere you haven’t been before. A new environment can help trigger new ideas and possibilities. This can be as simple as going to a new café or restaurant, or going on a short trip. One of the best options is to travel to a new location, ideally away from our home so that we can be immersed in a different environment.
- Reconnect with someone who lifts you up. We all need words of encouragement and sometimes speaking to a friend or family member can help us put things in perspective and rekindle our desire to do what we want to. Having support is extremely valuable especially when things aren’t going our way.
- Practice appreciation. No matter what’s going for us, we always have something to appreciate because somebody else is doing it tougher than us. Saying “thank you” to someone or just writing down things we’re grateful for will shift our focus and change our emotional state, which will then cause us to think new thoughts and take new actions.
It’s okay to feel a little down when things don’t go our way, but it’s important we don’t allow ourselves to remain there. We can always make new choices and start moving again in the right direction.
If we do, we’ll continue making progress and achieve the things that matter to us. If we don’t, we’ll delay or even not achieve our goals, which will cause us more mental and emotional pain.
Question: What is another way to find inspiration again when things aren’t going our way?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.