Being able to deal with, embrace and take advantage of change is vital if we want to design and live the life we want.
The rate at which things are changing is continuing to accelerate, which can generate feelings of discomfort and uncertainty.
Some of the common concerns that’s resulting in higher levels of uncertainty include:
- Will my skills or profession still be relevant in the future?
- Will I have a job or business in a year or two?
- Will I have enough money for my retirement?
- Will I be able to keep up with the changes in technology?
- Will I be able to support my family?
There are many other questions that can be added to the list above depending on our individual situation, however the common theme is change is bringing about a higher level of uncertainty about the future.
How we deal with change is dependant on our values, motivation and vision for the future we want to create.
An area that is important for the future is the way we learn. Online education is now critical in how we learn and what we learn. With more and more people using the internet, the world is better connected than ever before.
This has opened up new opportunities for those who want to teach by leveraging the power of the internet. Online education will continue to grow and evolve as better or more effective ways of learning are introduced.
Anyone who has something valuable to teach and can fill a need or demand in the marketplace can now take advantage of the knowledge commerce industry that has been formed.
5 Things You Can Do to Embrace Change and an Uncertain Future
- Know you’re not alone. We all deal with change differently and it can be challenging at times as we get used to things we’re not familiar with. As we deal with change, if we can accept that most people are experiencing something similar to us, we don’t have to put so much pressure on ourselves to be comfortable right from the start. It may take time to get used to new or different things.
- Let go of expectations. Having high expectations are often why we generate unnecessary stress because we want something to happen the way we want it to or in the timeframe we want. As nothing is permanent, all we can focus on are the things we can control, which are our thoughts, emotions, behaviours or actions.
- Be better prepared for new possibilities and opportunities. With change comes new opportunities or possibilities. The way we’ll be able to leverage these opportunities is to be better informed so that we can make better decisions for ourselves and our future. Continual learning is critical if we want to keep with all the changes that are happening.
- Get ahead by being proactive. There is a famous saying from one of the greatest professional hockey players, Wayne Gretzky, who said, “I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.” Being able to anticipate better by becoming aware of future trends is extremely valuable.
As an example, with so many changes happening now, more and more people will be going through major transitions in their lives so an industry that is going to continue to grow is coaching. Coaches will be in more demand as people will need support to navigate through the transitions they’re experiencing so that they can create the future they want.
- Develop mindfulness techniques. This isn’t something we just dabble with once in a while. It has to be a part of our daily lives. Being able to cope with higher levels of stress that’s generated by increasing change and uncertainty is important for our overall well-being. Being able to release unwanted emotions and practicing being calm during uncertain times is a useful habit to develop.
Faster change is now an acceptable part of our lives so the better we deal with it, the better we can leverage it to our advantage. If we do, we stay with or ahead of the changes that will impact us directly. If we don’t, there’s a high possibility that we’ll struggle to keep up and not make as much progress as we’d like in the areas of our lives that matter most to us.
Question: What is something else we can do to embrace change and deal with the future better?
You can leave a comment by clicking here.