Knowing how to improve your sleep cycles is important because it will make a difference to your quality of sleep.
We don’t function at our best if we don’t get enough rest. If we learn more about sleep cycles, we can take appropriate steps to ensure we get a better night’s sleep.
What is a Sleep Cycle?
A sleep cycle is like a stage we go through every time we sleep. There are five cycles we can go through if we give ourselves enough time for sleep.
Each cycle or stage takes around 90 minutes. To get through all the cycles, it’s beneficial to get a minimum of seven and a half hours sleep every night. If we can give ourselves nine hours of sleep, that’s highly beneficial because we’ll get through six sleep cycles.
Benefits of Improving Your Sleep Cycles
Improving our sleep cycle will lead to better quality sleep, however there are additional benefits. These include:
- Waking up feeling rested and relaxed.
- Maintaining a positive mood which means having a healthy attitude throughout the day.
- Feeling more energised and alert.
- Having greater levels of focus or concentration.
- Staying more present which means higher productivity.
By giving more attention to what we can do to improve our sleep cycles, we can have highly productive days.
Being attached to your goals can easily be mistaken for being focused on your goals. There is a difference.
When we’re focused on our goals, it means we’re clear on the outcomes we want. It also means we’re taking the right actions based on our plan to achieve them.
Signs You May Be Too Attached to Your Goals
When we’re attached to our goals, these things may happen:
- We want to do things our way without considering input from others.
- We get frustrated and overwhelmed by all the things we have to do to achieve our goals.
- We want or expect things to happen when we want them to.
- We’re only interested in what achieving the goal will give us.
- We make not achieving the goal mean something about us.
When we’re attached to our goals, it usually means there are certain fears playing out. These fears may include:
- Fear of not being enough.
- Fear of missing out.
- Fear of the consequences of not achieving our goals.
- Fear of being judged or ridiculed.
- Fear of the unknown.
By not being attached to our goals, we’ll make things easier for ourselves, which can help us achieve them faster.
In the coaching profession, being able to develop the skill of curiosity is essential to be an effective coach.
Curiosity is a valuable skill to develop as a leader. It shows a willingness to learn more about those we work or engage with.
What is Curiosity and Why Develop it?
We define curiosity as the “desire to know or learn.” When we’re curious, we’re in a state of being in the unknown and ready to learn something new.
There is a fine balance between being curious and being nosey. When someone is being nosey, they want to know something for their benefit, without considering how to serve another person.
When someone is being curious, they want to better understand a person or situation for the purpose of helping them reach an outcome they want.
If we develop the skill of curiosity, benefits will include:
- Expanding our perception or point of view.
- Greater levels of empathy with others.
- Deeper connection with others.
- Better problem-solving ability.
- More personal growth and self-confidence.
As we develop the skill of curiosity, our ability to communicate effectively will improve. This will allow us to support others in achieving what they want, while we achieve what we want.
Our desire to be an authentic person comes from our need to be and express who we truly are.
If we’re struggling to be an authentic person, it means we’re not being true to ourselves.
What it Means to Be an Authentic Person
The dictionary defines authentic as, “not false or copied; genuine; real.” It’s also defined as, “representing one’s true nature or beliefs; true to oneself or to the person identified.”
To be an authentic person means to be who we want to be, without pretending to be someone we’re not. This can be challenging because other people influence much of how we live our lives.
Reasons We Struggle to Be Authentic
Commons reasons we aren’t authentic include:
- Wanting to fit in and have others accept us.
- Other people’s expectations on what’s acceptable or not.
- Fear of being judged or ridiculed if we reveal our true selves.
- Lack of self-confidence to express who we really are.
- Not believing it’s safe to be real and true to who we are.
When we’re unable to be ourselves, it affects our mental and emotional well-being, which also affects how we function daily.
To know how to calm your mind when you are feeling stressed is a valuable thing to learn and practice.
The lifestyle we’re living today generates high levels of stress which can lead to:
- Mental health challenges.
- Physical ailments or pain.
- Feelings of frustration, overwhelm and fatigue.
- Additional strain or pressure on relationships.
- Slower progress towards our goals.
If we learn how to deal with stress better, we won’t allow our external environments or events to affect us. We’ll be in better control of how we respond to the things we experience daily.
As James Allen, author of As a Man Thinketh, wrote, “Calmness of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom. It is the result of long and patient effort in self-control. Its presence is an indication of ripened experience and of a more than ordinary knowledge of the laws and operations of thought.”
Being able to live your passions is very appealing, but it remains a distant dream for most people.
We’re happiest and at our best consistently when we’re doing things we love. Joy is our inner guidance system.
Whenever we’re not experiencing joy, it’s usually a sign we’re off-course in life. This means we’re engaged in activities that aren’t meaningful to us.
One key to a meaningful life is to do what we love. Our passions are things we love.
What Does it Mean to Live Your Passions?
When we live our passions, it means we’re doing things that bring us joy.
In his book, Aspire, Kevin Hall reveals the real meaning of passion is being willing to suffer for what you love.
He states, “When we discover what we are willing to pay a price for, we discover our life’s mission and purpose.”
Our quality of life will improve when we’re living our passions.
Knowing how to get unstuck and move forward is valuable to know because our daily pressures often slows us down.
Feeling stuck can be painful but staying there for a prolonged period is even more painful.
What Does it Mean to Be Stuck?
When we’re in a state of feeling stuck, it can cause:
- Mental turmoil and emotional stress.
- Reduced levels of motivation.
- Lack of clarity and confusion.
- Slow progress towards what we want to accomplish.
- Low levels of positive expectancy or happiness.
Commons Reasons People Get Stuck
There are many reasons why we feel stuck and some of these include:
- Having too many things to do with no clear criteria for prioritising them.
- Lacking self-confidence to pursue something.
- Not believing in ourselves and our ability to achieve what we want.
- Ignoring problems or pretending we don’t have them.
- Comparing our progress or success to others.
- Not having plans resulting in not knowing what actions to take.
- Believing we don’t have the resources to reach our goals.
- Being afraid to fail.
- Criticising ourselves for mistakes we’ve made.
- Doing the same things hoping to get a different result.
Having ways to get unstuck will help us get back into action and move towards the things we want.
Being able to live life with more purpose is something we’d love to experience more of every day.
It’s unlikely we’ll live life with more purpose if we’re not intentional about what and how we do things daily.
Those who live life with more purpose:
- Have a more positive outlook on life.
- Are healthier mentally, emotionally and physically.
- Tend to be happier.
- Are more generous and service-minded.
- Feel more successful.
- Often leave behind a legacy for others to enjoy.
What Does it Mean to Live Life With More Purpose?
When we’re living life with more purpose, we:
- Have a higher level of clarity.
- Do work that matters or is meaningful to us.
- Find it easier to make decisions.
- Have a high level of trust in ourselves.
- Are driven to serve and make a bigger difference.
Even though we want to experience more passion in everything we do, we don’t always take the necessary steps. Knowing a few simple things we can do daily to live life with more passion is highly beneficial.
One way to become more productive is to adjust your habits to support you in accomplishing what you want.
Our lives and our results are the accumulation of our habits. To make changes that will last, we have to review what we’re doing, what’s working or not working.
Once we have that awareness, we can take relevant actions to identify and form habits that will help us.
As our habits are like deep roots, changing them can be challenging. We often experience resistance which plays out as excuses, justifications or stories we tell ourselves why changing something is not the best idea or won’t work for us.
How Habits Work
Before we adjust our habits, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of how habits work. We can break habits down into these stages:
As we know more about what’s happening at each stage, we’ll notice what’s happening when we’re going through the process of adjusting our habits.
The pressure we face to manage our daily demands and get things done can cause us to lack motivation occasionally.
When we’re always busy or under pressure to meet deadlines, it can cause us to:
- Generate additional stress.
- Lose focus why we’re doing the things we are.
- Not feel or operate at our best.
- Do poor quality work.
Things That Can Cause You to Lack Motivation
Motivation can be difficult to sustain and easy to lose. Therefore, we have to know the contributing factors that can cause us to lose motivation. Some of these things include:
- Doing the same things repeatedly over a long period.
- Not inspired or passionate about what we’re doing.
- Not having clarity on the benefits of doing the things we are.
- Feeling we have to do something rather than wanting to do something.
- Having too many things to do.
As lack of motivation is something we’ll experience, having techniques we can use to get motivated again will be beneficial.