One thing that should not be a surprise to us is that we will have events happen in our lives or go through experiences we didn’t predict, want or expected.
Our ability to cope with life is tested when we go through difficult times. It is during difficult times that we experience the most pain, but they can also spur us on to better things in life.
We can always get a sense of a person’s character when they are going through difficult times. Those who cannot cope well often tend to:
- Blame others or external events for their situations.
- Look for shortcuts or quick fixes instead of getting to the heart of their problems.
- Get into a mental state that results in stress, overwhelm or even, depression.
Those who do cope well tend to:
- Rise up and meet their challenges head-on.
- Become mentally stronger as a result of their experiences.
- Go to another level of performance and achievement by having major breakthroughs.
How we cope when life gets difficult is directly related to how mentally strong we are.