In a world of constant interruptions and distractions, knowing how to be more present can be a distinct advantage.
The late Dr. Wayne Dyer, had a powerful quote on being more present; “Our present moment is a mystery that we are part of. Here and now is where all the wonder of life lies hidden. And make no mistake about it, to strive to live completely in the present is to strive for what already is the case.”
What Does it Mean to Be More Present?
Being present can mean different things to people. One definition is it’s our ability to fully experience each moment, without thinking about the past or the future.
The reality is we can only ever experience the present moment. The past is over and the future is not here yet. We tend to bring the past into the present moment, which will also impact the future we’ll create.
Learning to be more present will allow us to fully experience the only thing we’ll ever have, which is “Now.”
Signs That Indicate You Are Not Always Present
Here are some signs that indicate you may not fully be present in your life.
- You’re always thinking or worried about what will happen in the future.
- You don’t listen attentively during conversations.
- You feel disconnected from people.
- You’re constantly checking into what’s happening in the world via your devices.
- You keep telling yourself you don’t have enough time.
The more present we are, the better we’ll be able to fully experience what is happening in that moment.