Have you ever experienced being totally motivated one day and then struggling to even get out of bed the next day?
It reminds me of a Zig Ziglar quote on motivation: “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.”
We all go through phases in life where we find it hard to get ourselves to do things we know we should do like exercising regularly, eating healthy foods, staying hydrated daily, or getting enough sleep each night, to name a few.
So we need to ask ourselves why we lose our motivation. Some of the common reasons include:
- Doing the same things over and over.
- Not feeling joy in what we’re doing.
- Doubting whether what we’re doing will make a difference at all.
- Experiencing higher than normal levels of stress or anxiety.
- Comparing ourselves to others and generating feelings of not being good enough.
While these are valid reasons, there are three other reasons that are at the core of why we lose our motivation.