I’ll admit this is an area I struggle with as I tend to work more than I should. Over the past couple of years, I’ve taken steps to change my habit of working too much.
We’re in a global culture of being busy. Whenever we say we’re busy, it’s like a badge of honour because it makes us feel we’re important and we actually matter. We also use being busy as an excuse not to pursue what we really want to do in life.
If we ask most people what they’re busy with, it almost always comes down to day-to-day responsibilities and working to make ends meet. The truth is most people are busy doing work they would rather not be doing. So we get caught in this trap of being busy, doing work that’s not inspiring or fulfilling, which takes us away from what we’d rather be doing.
5 Signs You’re a Workaholic
- You spend a lot more time working than originally planned, which cuts into your evenings and weekends.
- You put your work before other areas of your life like health, relationships or family.
- You use work as a distraction not to face the real issues or challenges going on in your life.
- You free up time, that is, give up your leisure time, so you can do more work.
- You are highly stressed and fatigued, which generates feelings of anxiety, frustration and overwhelm.
It’s time to stop working ourselves to the ground and break the workaholism trap.