High achievers know how to use accountability to have more success. Being accountable is a key to their success.
What is Accountability?
Accountability is defined as “the state of being accountable, liable or answerable.”
When we’re accountable, we’re held responsible for doing or achieving something we’ve agreed to. Accountability is a powerful motivator.
Why Do We Need to Be Accountable?
We’re driven to gain rewards or to avoid a pain or a consequence. In an ideal situation, if we agree to do something, we should get it done. However, we know that’s not always the case.
Human beings are more driven to avoid a pain than they are to gain a reward. If there’s something we consider painful on the line if we don’t complete what we’ve agreed to, we’ll be motivated to avoid that pain.
When we use accountability to have more success, it doesn’t make us weak or unreliable. It means we’re serious and committed to achieving a particular result.
Accountability is a tool or a system we can use to challenge ourselves to be the best we can be.
The Benefits of Accountability
Using the power of accountability can benefit us in many ways, including:
- Staying focused and being reminded of the outcomes we want.
- Having someone we can talk to about what we’re working on.
- Receiving support and encouragement to keep moving forward.
- Getting new insights or perspectives when dealing with challenges.
- Celebrating our successes with someone who has been with us throughout the process.
When we learn how to use accountability to have more success, we’ll progress faster towards what we want.