We’ve all had experiences where we’d been trying to achieve something but no matter what we did, we didn’t make any progress.
When we have those types of experiences, we can quickly feel disappointed, discouraged and unmotivated. If we don’t manage our emotions well and shift our focus, it can cause us to give up and eventually quit on what we’re trying to achieve.
There will be times when we’ll struggle to get through the middle stages of a project. During such times, we need to be able to deal with our struggles and continue moving forward.
The costs of giving up on things important to us include:
- It will erode our self-confidence.
- It can affect others who may be depending on us reaching a particular outcome.
- It will make us less likely to take on bigger risks in life.
- It can hinder our ability to do our best work consistently.
- It can cause us to question our ability to create what we want.
As the Dalai Lama says, “Remember that sometimes, not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
We go through ups and downs in life, and the good news is, there are things we can do to shift our focus when we feel like giving up.