Having effective ways to develop competence can help us improve our performance and become better achievers.
As we give more attention to developing competence in any area, we’ll create better results.
What is Competence?
Competence is the ability to do something successfully or efficiently. It means we can do something well.
Having competence means having adequate knowledge and skills to carry out a task. Competence on a task means having the ability to think and behave that will lead to the successful execution of that task.
The Benefits of Developing Competence
When we develop competence in areas important to us, the benefits will include:
- Having greater levels of confidence.
- Completing tasks quicker or more efficiently.
- Making fewer mistakes which means we need less time to finish a task.
- Lower chance of compromising our safety.
- Becoming more knowledgeable and informed.
- Improving our chances of taking advantage of opportunities.
As we learn ways to develop competence in any area, we’ll not only benefit ourselves, we’ll also benefit others.